- Galvanized, one of the most important materials in construction, stands out with its
advantageous structure. Galvanizing is often preferred for prefabricated structures and
containers, as it increases the earthquake safety of the building. However, galvanic coating is
not only in the construction industry, but also in many other areas.
What is Galvanization?
- In its most basic sense, galvanization appears as a metal coating process. In order to carry out
this process, the steel must be coated by immersing it in molten zinc at approximately 450
degrees. In this way, while increasing the durability of the metal, surface rusting is
prevented. In short, it is ensured that the metal has a long life. The use of galvanization,
invented by Luigi Galvani, dates back to the 18th century. Galvanized, which was preferred in
those years to prevent corrosion of the metal, has been further developed and started to be used
in many areas today.
What is the process of Galvanizing?
There are basically 2 different methods for this process, which is also referred to as galvanized
coating. However, before these methods, it is necessary to look at the stages of galvanization
application. This process takes place in the following stages:
- Caustic Cleaning
- Flux solution
- Zinc Bath
- Cooling and inspection
Galvanized coating methods used for different purposes are as follows:
- 1. Electro galvanizing method
- Zinc is connected to the anode from these electrodes, called anode and cathode, with two
different electrodes. On the other hand, the coating material adheres to the cathode. In this
process, an electric current is applied and the anode electrode sticks to the cathode. For this
reason, zinc performs the galvanic coating process by sticking the electrode removed from the
anode to the material to which the cathode is attached. This process is done with pure zinc and
the coating is not removed.
- 2. Hot Dip Process
- The hot dip method is the most commonly used galvanizing process. Therefore, for the answer to
the question of what is galvanization, the hot dip method is expressed. This method, which
increases the life of steel and iron, does not require any maintenance after application. The
biggest problem of the hot dip method is that it cannot be welded. In addition, it should be
noted that unlike the electro galvanized coating method, it is not applied with pure zinc, but
with alloy zinc.
Where is galvanization used?
- Construction industry
- Prefabricated building production
- Container building production
- Maritime industry
- Insulation construction
- Automotive industry
- Ventilation plants
- Energy sector
- Stove and pipe production
- White goods industry
- Cable industry
- Food industry
- Aircraft manufacturing
- Packaging industry
What are the Properties of Galvanized?
- 1.Durable and Long Lasting
- He said that the galvanizing process is done by melting the zinc at about 50 degrees. Zinc is an
element that strengthens the structure of materials. The resulting structure is very strong and
not easily deformed. Electroplated metal is much more durable and long-lasting. Galvanizing,
which increases the earthquake resistance especially in prefabricated buildings, also
contributes to the durability and strength of the structure. In addition, since galvanizing is
done at high temperatures, it has a heat-resistant structure. Therefore, it is the preferred
product in various sectors. However, galvanization also has a certain lifespan. In contact with
excessively acidic or basic substances, the zinc coating will shorten its life.
- 2.Maintenance Free
- Another feature of galvanized steel electroplated coating is that it does not require
maintenance after application. Therefore, it offers many years of use. On the other hand, the
painting process and other coatings have no galvanizing effect. Such applications therefore
require much more frequent maintenance than galvanizing.
- Galvanic is a durable material and also inexpensive. Galvanizing is a much better alternative to
painting and allows for a predictable cost calculation. This method does not require any
- 4.Provides protection against corrosion
- Corrosion; It is called corrosion of metals and metal alloys due to environmental conditions or
their unique structure. Humidity, polluted air and acidic or basic environments are among the
biggest factors causing corrosion of metallic materials. Corrosion formation is easily prevented
by galvanic coatings that provide cathodic protection. Therefore, the life of the metal is
extended and its durability is greatly improved.
- 5.Prevents Rust
- Galvanizing Worker We have said that galvanizing prevents corrosion. Rust is also a stage of
corrosion. Corrosion is a form of oxidation and rust is a stage of this condition. It should be
noted that rusty materials are extremely harmful to health. However, using electroplating can
prevent the metal from rusting and greatly increase its durability.
- 6.Saves time
- Electroplating is a fast process. Surface preparation, painting and inspection do not require
time and effort. After the structure is assembled, it can be ready for use or proceed to the
next construction phase.
- 7.Environmentally friendly
- Galvanized is a material that does not contain any substances harmful to nature. Galvanized
steel can be recycled like any other steel product. Zinc used for hot dip galvanizing is
suitable for recycling. Therefore, galvanization is seen as an environmentally friendly material
that does not leave any residue in nature.
- 8.Does not contain harmful insects
- Galvanized has insect repellent properties. Galvanized steel does not contain harmful pests. For
this reason, galvanization process emerges as an insect repellent material.
- 9. Provides Holistic Coverage
- Galvanized Sheet, the entire surface of the material, including the closed areas, is covered
with zinc coating at the factory. Coated steel products are therefore optimally protected inside
and out, even at corners and edges. Galvanizing, which is widely used in the construction
industry, is a very profitable material. It is one of the indispensable tools of the
construction industry with its rust-proof structure. On the other hand, how galvanizing is
applied is very important. For this reason, we recommend that you work with a professional team
in the field.